Health & Finance?
What do they have in common?
Is one an indicator of the other?
The sum total is that it takes a good body to build and carry wealth.
Nelson Mandela was not popular as one of the richest men in the world. As a man, most of his normal active years were taken from him. He was locked up for 27 years because he insisted that he would not come out to apartheid. Neither would he go into exile. He wanted freedom (not for himself) but for his people. He was in prison from age 44 to about 72.
Mandela lived up to age 95. He returned to a kind of normal life from age 72 to 95 (23 years). He had lost at least one son while he was in jail. He was in his 2nd marriage when he went to jail and was not available to be a father to his children. Mandela was able to make up for this by being an effective (grand)father. All the things a father should do, he did for his grandchildren. He took them on vacation, he paid their school fees, he bought cars for them, etc. All these were possible because he enjoyed good health which did not come by chance.
How do we keep our health?
- Exercise: Nelson Mandela was active in prison. First, the prison required them to break rocks (remember he was already middle-aged). Then after the rock-breaking activities were stopped for political prisoners, he continued exercising. At some point, he grew vegetables to benefit all inmates. And it was not punishment!
- Adequate Ventilation: Ensure that you have adequate fresh air every day. It cleans the lungs, improves immunity, and improves sleep. Don’t live in a closed space with no fresh air.
- Sunlight: Recall the days of COVID lockdown in 2020. People who had to stay in isolation centres, at least in the tropics, were exposed to sunlight daily as treatment. And during summer, infections typically went down. That’s a message. Enjoy good sunlight, good enough, it’s free!
- Anger Management: Mahatma Gandhi advised his grandson to use his anger for good. “Anger, to people, is like gas to the automobile. It fuels you to move forward and get to a better place. Without it, we will not be motivated to rise to a challenge.” If you let your anger range free, please check your BP regularly especially when you are angry.
- Mental Exercises: The word atrophy is defined by Google as the decline in effectiveness or vigour due to underuse or neglect. If we do not keep the brain active, it loses the capacity to be active. Think! Analyse! Create!
As we maintain our physical health, we increase our capacity and attention to improve our finances.